The Danger servers shutdown today. It’s hard to put into words the impact that Danger and the Hiptop had on the entire wireless industry, as well as me personally. I know that it also played a personal role in a large number of people’s lives.
Some other blasts from the past for Sidekick die-hards:
- The old blue camera that plugged into the headphone port that only did 120×90 pixels?
- The excitement of the silver camera that let you take 320×240 pictures!
- The Hiptop Halloween Hunts
- Danger’s Official Timeline (circa 2007)
- Remember 10 Pin Bowling? Blockade? Cognet? HipPaint? the hacked Google Maps application?
- How about all the code names? Shuriken, Gekko, Zante, m1, m2, Aspen, Blade
- The rise and fall (thanks to Popular Science) of the Developer keys.
- hiptopinfo.com, hiptop.com, hiptop.bedope.com, skdr.net, skholla.com, The Danger Zone, hiptop411.com, hipalbum.com, and more…
- Discovering the hidden feature of custom themes. Thanks Jurai!
- T-Mobile’s Sidekick/Grammy tour and all the release parties
- The countless FCC leaks
- The Snoop Dogg commercial where he was asking for help with his laundry
- Who remembers Johnny Chase?
And last but not least.. where’s my cat remote?
If you’ve got a story or a memory to share about the Sidekick, please leave it in the comments. We’d love to hear how it touched other people too.