You guys asked, and appletech was kind enough to answer. Here are some of the most common and most interesting questions we received (cleaned up and combined as necessary):
1. What features does the Sidekick 3 support that TMobile has chosen to leave out? MMS? Save as Ringtone in email? Etc.
The “Save as Ringtone” email feature and MMS application are not present as before. The new “Record a Ringtone” feature has also been removed.
2. Can MP3s be used as ringtones?
No. All ringtones will come from the catalog
3. Can the Sidekick 3 be used as a modem for a laptop?
4. There is no support for video capture/playback/streaming videos/etc, but are there any plans to implement this in a future
OTAu (Over-The-Air Update)?
If there are any, I’m not at liberty to share that information. Keep in mind, any future features would be up to your carrier.
5. Can MP3s downloaded from iTunes be used on the Sidekick 3?
No. Any MP3s bought online that have DRM Encryption will *not* play on the Sidekick 3.
6. Can you listen to MP3s over a Bluetooth headset?
No. MP3s will play only over the device speaker or through a wired stereo headset (included I believe)
7. What are the plans for release in other markets? Suncom? UK? Would a Sidekick 3 purchased from the US work in these markets?
I’m not allowed to discuss plans for future carriers. A Sidekick 3 bought from TMobile USA would need to be unlocked for use on another carrier, but as before you would get only Phone/SMS service. Data is tied to the original carrier.
8. How much faster is the web browser compared to the Sidekick 2?
It’s definently faster. Depending on your EDGE coverage and network traffic in your area, browsing I found at times to be at least 50% faster than the SK2.
9. What downloadable apps will be available at launch time?
10. What was motivation in the switch to a different kind of keyboard?
I probably guess to avoid all the problems the SK2 had with keyboards peeling, keys breaking, letters rubbing off etc… The new keyboard virtually eliminates all those problems with a more solid piece of hardware.
11. Are Danger’s servers prepared for the large increase in usage?
Yup. I don’t see any problems coming up with the introduction of EDGE for browsing. There’s plenty server power there already for the job and more.
12. What will happen with regard to Mac syncing? Will the current Missing Sync still work? Will it still be necessary?
Syncing will happen just as before. The Sync apps themselves (PC & Mac) are what determines what data is synced from your computer. They will continue to sync to the DI via the internet.
13. Does the Bluetooth support for the Sidekick 3 include being able to sync data (contacts, calendar, mail, mp3’s) with a Bluetooth-enabled computer (PC and/or Mac)? Or is it strictly limited to support for Bluetooth headset devices?
Bluetooth is limited to the usage of a Bluetooth headset and the sharing of Vcards only.
14. What is the story with the screen? Is it the same screen as the Sidekick 2? Has the resolution/color depth changed at all?
The sk3 screen is the exact same screen as the sk2.
15. Is the audio port a shared mp3/stereo and headset port? Can I use regular headphones with it? Does it require a dongle? If I’m using regular headphones, does the phone think there’s a headset plugged in and mess up routing the audio?
The headset/headphone jack is 2.5mm headset jack. Your device will come with a stereo headset for phone use and for listening to mp3s. They don’t sound all that bad either. Give them a shot before running out a buying something else. If you wanna use standard headphone, you’ll need a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor.
16. Will it be possible to create custom wallpapers, ringtones, etc?
Doesn’t appear to be. All content looks be to catalog purchases only.
17. What is the limit of the size of the miniSD card?
At this time, we say 2GB because that is the current largest MiniSD available. There’s nothing on the device imposing a limit, so larger cards should work. However, until one exists that can be physically tested there is no 100% guarantee. I’d say 95% the only limit the available sizes.
18. Is there going to be a trade-in program like the Sidekick 2 had?
Doesn’t look like it. Current info shows it’s just gonna be a straight upgrade.
19. Have there been any improvements to the browser itself?
Other than the EDGE browsing speeds, the browser is roughly the same.
20. Will the applications, games, ringtones, etc. purchased on the Sidekick 2 get moved over to the Sidekick 3?
All games and applications will need to be repurchased for the SK3. Ringtones I think will transfer over as those are not device/OS specific like the apps.
21. What color is the backlight on the keyboard?
22. Can the chargers from the Sidekick 2 be used with the Sidekick 3?
Yes. The charges are interchangeable between the two.
23. What can be done with the USB port?
The USB will allow you to mount the SK3 on your computer to transfer MP3s the MiniSD card. You can also transfer pics you took and saved to the card to your PC. The SD card mounts as a standard external drive (like a USB Thumbdrive, or an iPod), so you can really store anything you can think of on the card for whatever reason. Of course, they won’t be able to be read by the SK3, only stored.
24. Will you be able to view buddy info in AIM? Can you change the “via hiptop” info?
No and No still.
25. Will there be limited edition Sidekicks, like the Mr Cartoon orJuicy SK2s? Different color Sidekicks?
Unknown. If there are, Danger/Tmobile does not pre-announce launch dates or share details about upcoming products
26. Does playing MP3s have an effect on the speed of other applications?
Nope. You can multi-task as usual. I have notice any kind of lag due to playing MP3s in the background.
27. How long is the battery life on average?
It all depends on your usage of course, but I’m averaging about 1 1/2 days on a charge with constant IM/YIM/MSN and Terminal sessions running. I usually charge nightly anyway.
28. Does the Sidekick 3 have full IMAP support, including folders?
It appears that IMAP support is still limited as before. This is more of a server side issue than device, as the server is the one interacting with the mail account and just pushing data to your device.
29. Do you like your job?
A HUGE thanks to appletech for taking the time out of doing battle with the overwhelmed hiptop.com forums to answer these questions for us. đź™‚ You rock!