Danger Developers are receiving an email from Microsoft/Danger informing them that the sales of “one-time donload content” will be discontinued as of March 2nd. Yes, as in tomorrow. So if there was ever a theme, ringtone, or app you wanted to purchase from the Sidekick catalog, you better grab it today.
Archive for the 'Themes' Category
Life as a Sidekick user is starting to return to normal as T-Mobile/Microsoft/Danger slowly announce each piece of data that is restorable as they make progress. We’ve gotten back Address Books, Calendars, To Do Lists, Notes, and most recently Photos. I know a lot of people are still waiting on Bookmarks and I imagine that will be next in line. However one of the hallmarks of the Sidekick is still missing and we haven’t heard any word on when it will return.
I’m of course talking about the Download Catalog, aka the first App Store. The Catalog has been down for over a month and this sucks both for Sidekick users as well as Sidekick Developers. I’m sure T-Mobile is feeling the hurt too as a large source of their income from Sidekick users comes from selling applications, ringtones and themes.
While there are no other ways to get applications (save having a developer key), it is possible to get ringtones and themes while the catalog is down from unofficial sites. Themes for most Sidekicks can be found at Sidekick Themes and if you have a Sidekick LX 2009 you can get free ringtones at Skringers.com.
UPDATE (2009-11-11): We’re hearing through the grapevine that the Download Catalog may be up by Saturday if things go well! Keep your fingers crossed.
The Sidekick LX 2009 has hit the streets and a lot of people are already looking to customize their devices. While themes for old devices from sites like sklxthemes.com or sk08themes.com kind of work, there are some changes plus a higher resolution screen to take advantage of!
So a new site has launched dedicated to free Sidekick LX 2009 themes: sklx09themes.com. Head over there to grab some free themes for your Sidekick LX 2009 or use the Theme Generator to create your own theme from your own images. For those of you that are experienced theme creators there’s also info on the new theme elements.
Wondering what the default themes that come with the Sidekick LX 2009 look like? Wonder no more:
Don’t like the themes? Well there’s always the catalog or you can get them free over at sklx09themes.com when it launches.
Thanks to the folks at the official Danger Device Forums, there are a lot more specifics on features thanks to the moderators who actually have been test-driving the devices for several weeks. Here is the rundown so far (with some more pics!):
- No Shells like the 2008
- 3 mood lights – new locations: 1 on top and bottom of the keyboard
and 1 long one on the top edge of the screen when opened (bottom of screen when closed)
- Actual Screen Shot (click for full size)
- no animated gifs
- SDHC Memory – no limit – just what is available on the market (16gb – OK!!)
- Speaker is louder than before
- Video Mode – Low Res is a 176×144 resolution meant for sending via email/mms. This resolution is limited to something like 4 minutes.
- Video taken from an SK09 (Hi-Res Mode – no recording limit!!):
- Photo App Max size: 2,048 x 1,536
- You can Geotag photos with your GPS location.
- It’s a 3.2MP camera with Auto Focus and flash (no zooming).
- There’s an auto focus mode with options distant and macro mode. There’s white balance controls, and B&W, Sepia, Negative effect options.
- Available resolution options are:
- 2048 x 1536
- 1600 x 1200
- 1280 x 960
- 800 x 600
- 640 x 480
- YouTube videos work.
- m.break.com videos work (but not smooth)
- Seesmic does not work
- Facebook app seems to be a souped-up mobile version. No videos, apps, etc.
- Internet Radio Works!! (Ex: ShoutCast):
- Yahoo Messenger supports animated buddy icons.
- AIM and Yahoo Messenger now support photo sharing
- You can also upload videos to youtube (or photobucket or myspace) directly
- Web Browser still does not support Flash
- You cannot roam on AT&Ts 3G Network due to the ranges being different:
The LX09 supports UMTS Bands 2100, 1700, 850.
T-Mobile uses 1700 and 2100 for 3G, while AT&T uses 1900. So you won’t be able to roam on AT&T 3G.
As for “Other networks”, it depends on what 3G band they are using.
- Still has chrome around the USB/Charger, but appears to be more sratch-resistant:
- Data plans are grandfathered. T-Mobile will not raise your rates
- When GPS is on, the battery drains faster. (there is an option to turn it on/off)
- Browser is overall the same as the last OTA on the LX. But you have a LOT more room:
- Still 6MB limit on email/ 100+30 limit on SMS (both same as before)
- No confirmation as to “Free Ringtone downloads” still basing it on info already published.
- Themes can still be user-generated like before
- Social apps (Twitter, Myspace, Photobucket, and Facebook) are all FREE – no monthly charges!!!!
Want a Limited Edition Sidekick LX? If you’re Soulja Boy it’s as easy as this:
Step 1: Get a Sidekick LX
Step 2: Show off your big LCD TVs so everyone thinks you’re cool enough to get Limited Edition stuff
Step 3: Get your Sidekick repainted by Colorware or snag a new Lens Frame.
Step 4: Jump on sklxthemes.com and grab the Sidekick LX XBOX 360 Theme
Step 5: Go into the Catalog and download Resident Evil for $6.99
Step 6: Make a video about how you’re the only one who has this and post it to the internets!
Nice try Soulja Boy, we’re on to you. A Soulja Boy Limited Edition Sidekick LX would have been better. Maybe you should stop trying to punk people and start working on your music so you don’t stay a 1-hit wonder. Hopefully you realize how much easier (and more convincing) this would have been with a Sidekick 2008 and a custom made XBOX 360 shell.
If you follow the above steps, please let us know which “Limited Edition” you’re faking and where the video is. If you want to see Soulja Boy’s video, check it out here or below:
Some keen eyes have spotted what may be an icon for the next Sidekick ID in the Catalog. On the Sidekick LX, if you go into the Theme section of the catalog and look at the newest themes, you’ll see that the phone icon is different. (Or if you don’t want to open the catalog, compare the phone icon in the first image above to the familiar icon in the second one) It’s yellow around the edges as if it has bumpers, but it has a wider screen than the normal SKiD, one that looks more like a Sidekick LX screen. My first thought was, it’s just an LX with yellow plastic pieces. But if you look close enough (I know, we’re examining like 10 pixels) you can see that the yellow part does not match up where you would replace the pieces on a Sidekick LX. Could we be seeing a new version of the Sidekick iD coming out soon? Did someone slip up and take screenshots on a new iD since it would have the same resolution as the LX if it was sharing a theme? We’ll let you guys know what we find.