Sidekick 2009 Release Date

Sidekick 2009 with Hiptop Cat

It’s the information we’ve all been waiting for. The Sidekick 2009 (Blade) that we’ve all be drooling over for months is dropping on…

May 13th

That is of course a tentative date and not officially stated by T-Mobile, but I’m calling this a pretty solid date. This info comes from TmoNews, who got what looks like T-Mobile’s a summer release date list from “a trusted tipster”.

So, you’ve got about a month to start saving (maybe even less if they do a pre-release for current Sidekick users), are you getting a Sidekick 2009?

96 Responses to “Sidekick 2009 Release Date”

  1. drew Says:

    the sidekick 1 – sidekick color was the one of the first phones to ever have full html web browing if not the first..

  2. michael Says:

    ya how much $$$$!!!!!!!!! cuz i probably cant afford it which is yhe reason i dont have a sidekick

  3. wsup Says:

    drew on April 6, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

    the sidekick 1 – sidekick color was the one of the first phones to ever have full html web browing if not the first..

    real web browsing? kinda like the g1, iphone, newer blackberries.

  4. meme Says:

    wsup on April 6, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

    drew on April 6, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

    the sidekick 1 – sidekick color was the one of the first phones to ever have full html web browing if not the first..

    real web browsing? kinda like the g1, iphone, newer blackberries.

    The sidekick DOES have real web browsing. But by your definition of “real” I think you mean not all in a single column and that is fully function much like the G1’s or iPhone’s web browsers. I agree. The web browser on the sidekick is nice but does not compare to the latest and greatest phones out in the market. **sigh**

  5. zomg Says:

    Damn lol, oh well i just got rid of my sidekick for a g1 xD

  6. Junior Says:

    bout time !!! 😀

  7. Dan the Hero Says:

    wsup on April 6, 2009 at 10:05 am said:

    for me to buy this and stay with a sidekick, it needs to come with a real web browser (full html), and wifi. if it only comes with a full browser and no wifi, i will probably still pick this up. a better browser is a must these days! otherwise, i will be picking up a g1 or wait to pick up the g2.

    there is no reason to be paying the new increased monthly price on the sidekick plan when other more advanced phones can do more for the same monthly price! it was a bad move on tmobile to raise the monthly rate for the sidekick data plan. maybe its because it will be 3g now? but there isn’t even much coverage for 3g! they’re gonna end up killing off the sidekick because of the options for phones like the g1 and the new blackberry javelin. these phones do more for the same monthly rate. the only advantage to the sidekicks = the AIM feature.

    haha. theyre probably NOT going to have wifi, but i think its safe to assume the web browsing will be significantly faster and all around better.

    as far as price for 3G goes, i cant imagine them charging. im on a prepay sidekick plan. what? are they going to charge me $1.50 a day now or something? just for having a newer device? i dont think so 🙂 at least, i hope not. or ill just stay on my LX

  8. rob Says:

    When is eveyone gonna grow up sidekicks are just for kids and gangster’s I used to love sidekicks when I was in highschool, the sidekick will always be behind in technogly and lag behind other phones and proly always have stupid apps that you have to pay for when its free on everyother phone (myspace?wtff) I enjoy free myspace,twitter,facebook and lots of other stuff on my g1 so plz save your self and buy a REAL phone not a toy unless your in middle/high school or a gangster
    Android IS the future period

  9. Anonymous Says:

    rob on April 6, 2009 at 4:50 pm said:

    When is eveyone gonna grow up sidekicks are just for kids and gangster’s I used to love sidekicks when I was in highschool, the sidekick will always be behind in technogly and lag behind other phones and proly always have stupid apps that you have to pay for when its free on everyother phone (myspace?wtff) I enjoy free myspace,twitter,facebook and lots of other stuff on my g1 so plz save your self and buy a REAL phone not a toy unless your in middle/high school or a gangster
    Android IS the future period

    So in 2009 i should cross the street an woman should hold their purse when they see a man with a sidekick because he’s a gangster??

  10. Nicole Says:

    Dyingforit on April 6, 2009 at 7:46 am said:

    Hey FYI on the TMO website the Sidekick LX is out of stock! Think that means anything?

    Or the fact that the SK08 is now $99 (but I bought it over the phone with TMobile for $79)…

    I remember I wanted an LX last summer but then the price went down right before the 08 came out.

  11. the night theif lol Says:

    i wasn’t sure if i should get a voyager or a sidekick then i heard this was coming out so i will probobly definitly get a sidekick (blade) if anyone can tell me if you can change the shells just like the last one because my friend has a sidekick 2008 (gkekko) and he has like 4 shells so if you can get costom shells and change the shell please reply wahoooooooooooooo it looks so cool

  12. the other joel Says:

    i want it i am also the night theif

  13. meme Says:

    the night theif lol on April 6, 2009 at 6:42 pm said:

    i wasn’t sure if i should get a voyager or a sidekick then i heard this was coming out so i will probobly definitly get a sidekick (blade) if anyone can tell me if you can change the shells just like the last one because my friend has a sidekick 2008 (gkekko) and he has like 4 shells so if you can get costom shells and change the shell please reply wahoooooooooooooo it looks so cool

    The new sidekick looks a lot like the SK08. Probably will have interchangeable faceplates. But don’t take my word for it. I honestly do not care. I like my glossy looking LX and I wish the new SK will look similar. Either way, I’ll buy it. lol
    Just purchased a 2gb microSD card for my LX. I didn’t realize until now that my card is only 128mb. 🙁 There is no more memory on my card.
    Oh yeah, Voyager sucks! DO NOT buy that phone. Serious POS.

  14. HelloNYC Says:

    I hope this release date is the real deal! My contract ended on the 3rd of this month so I’m hoping to get the full upgrade price in the new sidekick when it comes out. I called t-mobile and they said that the lx was no longer availible for upgrading and the only sidekicks left were the 08 and the tony hawk limited edition lx. Hopefully that means this release date is te real deal and we’ll be seeing a new sidekick soon. I can’t wait to get rid of this sidekick slide 😀

  15. HelloNYC Says:

    EDIT: *the

    🙂

  16. Bittany Says:

    I want u guys decision should i get this fone which is the (blade), the Lx, or the 08

  17. meme Says:

    Bittany on April 6, 2009 at 9:00 pm said:

    I want u guys decision should i get this fone which is the (blade), the Lx, or the 08

    I can almost promise you this…seeing how competitive the prices are for new phones these days…and we’re currently in a recession, the price of the sidekick blade will not be $300. I am guessing somewhere around the same price as the iphone/G1.. If I had to put a price tag on the new sk coming out, I would say $200 dollars. But don’t take my word for it. I just have a very good feeling the sidekick will not cost $300 this year.
    But if a new sidekick is coming out next monthm why on earth would you buy the LX or the 08? if you have the money to buy the new phone, definitely wait the month and purchase it when it comes out. You’ll regret not buying it if you do buy the LX or 08 right now.

  18. mrsk08wait409 Says:

    today i went into the mall and went to the tmobile store. and asked the person about the latest sidekick. and he said it would be coming out in august.

  19. stephy Says:

    just like Ellex said is it gonna be a LX upgrade or a 2008 upgrade. i personally do not like the 2008 i think the LX is way better, the 2008 feels really plasticy like a little toy that can easily be broken, the LX feels more durable and im sure it probably is.
    also if the 2009 does get 3G or some other kind of new stuff that the other kicks dont have, will we get them in an update?
    and for one more question
    i already have the LX and if i do decide to get the 2009 will they make me change my data plan price that i pay now that is $20 to the new $54.99?
    because if they do, i dont care if the 2009 is better ill stick to my LX.

    wow, this was longer than i expected.

  20. Nicole Says:

    $54.99 a month PLUS the cost of minutes? THE ****… I’m about to get rid of all the fancy phones (I got 4 lines on my family plan: 2 sidekicks, 1 g1, 1 shadow) and go back to Helio.

    We’re already paying $300 a month for unlimited calling and texting… Now another $200 for Internet? **** that… I can go to Helio, get 4 Ocean 2’s – and not have to pay for MySpace!

  21. meme Says:

    Nicole on April 7, 2009 at 1:54 am said:

    $54.99 a month PLUS the cost of minutes? THE ****… I’m about to get rid of all the fancy phones (I got 4 lines on my family plan: 2 sidekicks, 1 g1, 1 shadow) and go back to Helio.

    We’re already paying $300 a month for unlimited calling and texting… Now another $200 for Internet? **** that… I can go to Helio, get 4 Ocean 2’s – and not have to pay for MySpace!

    Relax. The data plan is $34.99. Not $54. If you’re ponly paying $20 for your data plan, you’ll more than likely be grandfathered into your $20 data plan with the new sidekick. You people need to stop believing EVERYTHING you hear!

  22. Anonymous Says:

    meme on April 7, 2009 at 3:51 am said:

    Nicole on April 7, 2009 at 1:54 am said:

    $54.99 a month PLUS the cost of minutes? THE ****… I’m about to get rid of all the fancy phones (I got 4 lines on my family plan: 2 sidekicks, 1 g1, 1 shadow) and go back to Helio.

    We’re already paying $300 a month for unlimited calling and texting… Now another $200 for Internet? **** that… I can go to Helio, get 4 Ocean 2’s – and not have to pay for MySpace!

    Relax. The data plan is $34.99. Not $54. If you’re ponly paying $20 for your data plan, you’ll more than likely be grandfathered into your $20 data plan with the new sidekick. You people need to stop believing EVERYTHING you hear!

    but if tha man has two sidekicks and he upgrades em both that would be stupid expensive. And i have a sidekick without the internet now and its stupid. When you get a text message it doesnt vibrate. or ring or anything. the person who sent you a text message it only shows there number and not their name in your adress book. it just dosent work as well, so if you dont get internet. DONT GET A SIDEKICK

  23. boogz Says:

    itsNobi on April 6, 2009 at 8:16 am said:

    boogz on April 6, 2009 at 6:11 am said:

    I just hope the speaker is louder…but if the device has a turn by turn gps i would assume they would make it loud enough to be heard clearly with the phone sitting on my passenger seat.

    That’s one thing about Nextel and Boost phones. The iden speakers were always loud as heck, and have continually gotten clearer without sacrificing dB’s.

    thats the ONLY thing i missed about my nextel…

  24. yung b Says:

    its too bad that tmobiles service and customer support sucks big hairy ****. i really like the sidekicks tho, but im prolly finna jump ship and iphone it. boss!

  25. gizmo Says:

    I NEED A PRICE!! WHEN DO WE GET A PRICE. WHATS UP WITH THE FCC INFO!! MORE!! MORE!! FEED ME INFO!!

  26. Anonymous Says:

    I AM SO GETTING IT YEAH FINALLY BUT WE NEED PRICES AND FCC STUFF!

  27. Wish_I_had_my_SKLX Says:

    I had a sidekick lx, that got stolen, got a sidekick 2008, that got stolen, got a G1, no beaner will touch it. Touch screen phones that require some sort of brain functionality like the G1 repell theives, but if the Blade actually doesn’t remind me of a kids toy with the annoying, obnoxious noises that will signal the where abouts of my expensive phone from anywhere in a city, I might get it.

  28. 915rko Says:

    Wish_I_had_my_SKLX on April 7, 2009 at 9:12 pm said:

    I had a sidekick lx, that got stolen, got a sidekick 2008, that got stolen, got a G1, no beaner will touch it. Touch screen phones that require some sort of brain functionality like the G1 repell theives, but if the Blade actually doesn’t remind me of a kids toy with the annoying, obnoxious noises that will signal the where abouts of my expensive phone from anywhere in a city, I might get it.

    no wonder I never liked the g1!! maybe because I’m a beaner lol!! well my uncle did and he’s mexican. so maybe just bad luck.

  29. 915rko Says:

    on April 7, 2009 at 4:47 am said:

    meme on April 7, 2009 at 3:51 am said:

    Nicole on April 7, 2009 at 1:54 am said:

    $54.99 a month PLUS the cost of minutes? THE ****… I’m about to get rid of all the fancy phones (I got 4 lines on my family plan: 2 sidekicks, 1 g1, 1 shadow) and go back to Helio.

    We’re already paying $300 a month for unlimited calling and texting… Now another $200 for Internet? **** that… I can go to Helio, get 4 Ocean 2’s – and not have to pay for MySpace!

    Relax. The data plan is $34.99. Not $54. If you’re ponly paying $20 for your data plan, you’ll more than likely be grandfathered into your $20 data plan with the new sidekick. You people need to stop believing EVERYTHING you hear!

    but if tha man has two sidekicks and he upgrades em both that would be stupid expensive. And i have a sidekick without the internet now and its stupid. When you get a text message it doesnt vibrate. or ring or anything. the person who sent you a text message it only shows there number and not their name in your adress book. it just dosent work as well, so if you dont get internet. DONT GET A SIDEKICK

    my girl has the slide without the internet and she gets all her text with names. it rings and vibrates whenever she gets calls or text messages. that happened to me for a while with my 08 and the slide. I guess it was a problem with t mobile because it doesn’t happen anymore.

  30. RileyXD3 Says:

    I still have the sidekick3….I know, I’m ashamed of my self….I’m gonna wait until the price of the 08 goes down and then I’ll get that…but I’d love to get the 09,maybe when it comes out I’ll get that as an upgrade….I wonder where the sidekick/danger/hiptop company will be in like….2030…that’s gonna be amaziing to see.

  31. SKickADDICT Says:

    Der aha!
    It better be AMAZING!

  32. JacksonJawbreaker Says:

    915rko on April 8, 2009 at 10:04 am said:

    on April 7, 2009 at 4:47 am said:

    meme on April 7, 2009 at 3:51 am said:

    Nicole on April 7, 2009 at 1:54 am said:

    $54.99 a month PLUS the cost of minutes? THE ****… I’m about to get rid of all the fancy phones (I got 4 lines on my family plan: 2 sidekicks, 1 g1, 1 shadow) and go back to Helio.

    We’re already paying $300 a month for unlimited calling and texting… Now another $200 for Internet? **** that… I can go to Helio, get 4 Ocean 2’s – and not have to pay for MySpace!

    Relax. The data plan is $34.99. Not $54. If you’re ponly paying $20 for your data plan, you’ll more than likely be grandfathered into your $20 data plan with the new sidekick. You people need to stop believing EVERYTHING you hear!

    but if tha man has two sidekicks and he upgrades em both that would be stupid expensive. And i have a sidekick without the internet now and its stupid. When you get a text message it doesnt vibrate. or ring or anything. the person who sent you a text message it only shows there number and not their name in your adress book. it just dosent work as well, so if you dont get internet. DONT GET A SIDEKICK

    my girl has the slide without the internet and she gets all her text with names. it rings and vibrates whenever she gets calls or text messages. that happened to me for a while with my 08 and the slide. I guess it was a problem with t mobile because it doesn’t happen anymore.

    Sounds like you are using it without Tmobile….tsk tsk tsk.

  33. omy Says:

    how much?????

  34. Jose Says:

    Lol dis fone comes out on my birthday…idk if im getting it tho cuz i lose my original lx nd i got dat for my birthday last year so 2 lx’s in 2 years idk bout that

  35. Viktor Says:

    Oh man that sidekick looks stick… I had an LX before and it was nice then I sold it and now im rolling with a G1 but if this blade is worth it I will go get it…

  36. justin Says:

    It looks to me that it will most likely won’t have interchangable shells, I hope it doesn’t ,

  37. 915rko Says:

    JacksonJawbreaker on April 9, 2009 at 1:00 am said:

    915rko on April 8, 2009 at 10:04 am said:

    on April 7, 2009 at 4:47 am said:

    meme on April 7, 2009 at 3:51 am said:

    Nicole on April 7, 2009 at 1:54 am said:

    $54.99 a month PLUS the cost of minutes? THE ****… I’m about to get rid of all the fancy phones (I got 4 lines on my family plan: 2 sidekicks, 1 g1, 1 shadow) and go back to Helio.

    We’re already paying $300 a month for unlimited calling and texting… Now another $200 for Internet? **** that… I can go to Helio, get 4 Ocean 2’s – and not have to pay for MySpace!

    Relax. The data plan is $34.99. Not $54. If you’re ponly paying $20 for your data plan, you’ll more than likely be grandfathered into your $20 data plan with the new sidekick. You people need to stop believing EVERYTHING you hear!

    but if tha man has two sidekicks and he upgrades em both that would be stupid expensive. And i have a sidekick without the internet now and its stupid. When you get a text message it doesnt vibrate. or ring or anything. the person who sent you a text message it only shows there number and not their name in your adress book. it just dosent work as well, so if you dont get internet. DONT GET A SIDEKICK

    my girl has the slide without the internet and she gets all her text with names. it rings and vibrates whenever she gets calls or text messages. that happened to me for a while with my 08 and the slide. I guess it was a problem with t mobile because it doesn’t happen anymore.

    Sounds like you are using it without Tmobile….tsk tsk tsk.

    trust me, with the price im paying I feel like im on sprint or verizon; but my bill comes with the big t mobile envelope. for those saying the 08 is plasticy and breaks easily, wrong! I’ve dropped it numerous times on cement floor and all I have to do is change the shell and it looks brand new =)

  38. Dre Says:

    does anybody know if this is legit? cause i was talking to a T-Mobile rep yesterday and I asked her about it, and she said they usually get to see the T-mobile phones around 2 months before it comes out and she told me that they never even got to see the new Sidekick.

    I don’t know, maybe T-Mobile is not trying to have some new features(*cough, cough* touch screen *cough, cough*) haha…

  39. recognizedakick Says:

    Dre on April 12, 2009 at 4:06 pm said:

    does anybody know if this is legit? cause i was talking to a T-Mobile rep yesterday and I asked her about it, and she said they usually get to see the T-mobile phones around 2 months before it comes out and she told me that they never even got to see the new Sidekick.

    I don’t know, maybe T-Mobile is not trying to have some new features(*cough, cough* touch screen *cough, cough*) haha…

    NO TOUCH SCREEN FOR THE KICK!!!! NOOOOO NOT NECESSARY!!!

  40. ChaoZ222 Says:

    Dre on April 12, 2009 at 4:06 pm said:

    does anybody know if this is legit? cause i was talking to a T-Mobile rep yesterday and I asked her about it, and she said they usually get to see the T-mobile phones around 2 months before it comes out and she told me that they never even got to see the new Sidekick.

    I don’t know, maybe T-Mobile is not trying to have some new features(*cough, cough* touch screen *cough, cough*) haha…

    Negative…a touch screen on a sidekick would defeat the purpose of being a sidekick. I wouldnt like touch screen 1 bit

  41. jami Says:

    well damn cant wai till ikt comes oujt whoo!
    finally !
    well of course ama get it!
    i have the lx AND NOE I WANT DIS ONE THE 09 BUT IM NOT SURE!?
    welll yupsz des is all i ahve to say

    love:jami!
    ohh by dhe wwayh m a sidekik feen!

  42. Juan Says:

    does anybody know if this will have shells like the 08? and would you need the data plan to use this phone?

  43. malika Says:

    this doesn’t have touch screen and no wifi

    i was on the phone wit tmobile just now and they said that this can also be used a cable modem on ya computer

  44. harajukuLovers Says:

    I WANT IT NOW

  45. vena Says:

    whoa!! im so excited for this phone to come out =)
    sadly i got my Sk 2008 stolen =/ && im sooo sad. i took the insurance jst one month ago and well theres nuthing to be done. i’ll be using my Sk 3 for the mean while && hopefully i get this one. does anyone know if i can put my insurane bck again or sumthing?

  46. vena Says:

    wow really? damn i jst got my 2008 stolen && i feel fcken sad.
    did yu atleast have insuarance or what yu do??



Subscribe to our RSS feed or Twitter for up to the minute news, or subscribe to our daily email feed to get Hiptop3.com in your inbox!

Get Hiptop3.com in your email: